Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fix Outlook 2010 Error Code 0x8004010F

Problem :

Outlook 2010 was working fine when I realised that I had placed my .pst file (I am NOT using Exchange here) into the wrong folder.

I rebooted the PC, moved the .pst file and then restarted Outlook. Everything seemed to be fine; the accounts settings were fine (I tested send/receive) but when I hit F9 for the real send/receive I received the error message "Outlook Data file cannot be accessed."

Outlook knows where the .pst file is as I am looking at it now - but for some reason it can't send nor receive.

Solution :


I also had an issue with sendig and receiving with Outlook 2010 (RTM) with one email account (have about 6 setup) when I migrated from Outlook 2003. Errors were as follows:

Receiving reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'
Sending reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'

I was able to access the email folders, and all of the other email accounts that accessed the same PST were fine. This proved that there were no issues actually accessing the PST file - what was going on. A Internet search or 2 later, it looked like it might be a profile issue, but I wasn't willing to just accept this and re-create the profile. I started looking at the profile setup, and in particular the location for the received email for the account that was failing. The Account Settings - Email accounts screen indicated that the email was being received in the correct location - personal folders\inbox, and this was also the case for the email accounts that were working. I then went to change the receive location (Change Location button), and noticed that it didn't display the same receive location as the summary screen! I checked a working account, and it did display correctly. I then changed the folder on the "broken" account to Personal Folders\inbox (just as it had said it was set to in the Email Accounts screen) and everything started working again.

In summary, it appears that one email account was trying to save incoming email into my hotmail account inbox, even though the configuration looked like it should be delivering it to my Personal Folders\Inbox. So if you have the above error, make sure the email is being delivered to the correct location before trying the other suggestion of re-creating the profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment